What is a  Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)?

The post-graduation work permit allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. The post-graduation work permit is an open work permit. This means that you can work in any occupation anywhere in Canada, and change employers any time you wish.

Note: Work obtained through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program may help support your application to become a permanent resident of Canada.

How long is a post-graduation work permit valid?

A post-graduation work permit (PGWP) may be valid anywhere between eight months and up to three years. The length of your permit will depend on the length of the study program you completed in Canada. The permit won’t be longer than the length of your study program.

For example:

If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you could be eligible for an eight-month work permit.
If you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit, if you meet program requirements.

Who Can Apply For Post Graduation Work Permit?

You can apply for a job before you get your post-graduation work permit if you:

  • were a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI) in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program,
  • already completed your program of study, and
  • didn’t exceed the number of hours you could work on and off-campus.

How do I apply for a post-graduation work permit?

How you can apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) depends on where you’re applying from. Most people must apply online for their PGWP.
You have 180 days after your school issues your final marks to apply for a post-graduation work permit.

If you need to extend or change the conditions on your PGWP

You must apply on paper if you’re extending or changing the conditions on your PGWP. You can only extend your PGWP if your passport expired earlier than your PGWP validity should have been. You may need to change the conditions on your PGWP if you need to provide an additional document, like a medical exam, after you already applied.

A PGWP is an excellent way to practically apply what you have learned at your educational instition, advance your professional goals and gain Canadian work experience, which you might need to qualify for permanent residence.

You don’t have to wait until you physically receive your diploma or attend your graduation ceremony to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

All you need to apply for a PGWP is:

  • an official letter from your school that confirms you’ve completed your study program, and
  • an official transcript, or a copy of your transcript from your school’s website.

You have 180 days after your school issues your final marks to apply for a post-graduation work permit. To be eligible for a PGWP, your study permit must have been valid at some point during these 180 days.

You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:

  • had a valid study permit,
  • had completed your program of study,
  • were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
  • did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions.
  1. Extend your BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)
  2. Apply for or extend your Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  3. Apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) 3-4 months before it expires, if required

your special immigration

Vancouver, BC


Tel: +1 604 763 3434
Email : info@specialimmigration.com

Follow us on

2019 © your special immigration . All Rights Reserved