Express Entry

Express Entry is a selection system for Canadian immigration, designed to select skilled workers for immigration to Canada. Express Entry is a completely electronic process involving the federal government, provincial governments, and Canadian employers. Candidates with the highest rankings are invited to apply for permanent residency.

Express Entry manages applications for three economic immigration programs:

  1. Federal Skilled Worker Program
  2. Federal Skilled Trades Program
  3. Canadian Experience Class

Provinces and territories can also recruit candidates from the Express Entry pool through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) to meet local labour market needs.

How Express Entry works:

Step 1: Find out if you’re eligible
Step 2: Get your documents ready
Step 3: Submit your profile
Step 4: Receive an invitation and apply for permanent residence

Documents for Express Entry

You need certain documents at different stages of the Express Entry application process.

Documents for your profile

You don’t need to upload documents to submit a profile, but you may need information from some or all of these documents:

  • passport or travel document
  • language test results
  • education credential
  • assessment report if
         you’re applying through the Federal Skilled Workers program , or

           you want to get points for the education you got outside Canada

  • provincial nomination (if you have one)
  • written job offer from an employer in Canada (if you have one)
  • Documents for your application for permanent residence

If you are  invited to apply, you’ll need to upload copies of the documents you used for your profile (see list above). Most applicants will also need to upload the following:

  • police certificates
  • medical exams
  • proof of funds

Respond to your invitation to apply

If you are invited to apply for permanent residence, you’ll get a message in your account telling you:

  • which program you’ve been invited to apply for
  • what to do next

You’ll need to show proof of the information you gave in your Express Entry profile. They’ll assess whether the information you submit in your application is different from what was in your profile.

If they find that you gave them false information or left out important details, they could:

  • refuse your application
  • find you inadmissible
  • bar you for 5 years from applying to come to Canada for any reason

What to do if you’re not invited to apply:

If you’re not invited to apply within 12 months of submitting your Express Entry profile, it will automatically expire. You can see this date in your account.

When your profile expires, it will be removed from the system. You will get a message in your account.

You can still create a new profile. If your profile is about to expire, you can print out screen shots of your profile to make it easier to re-enter your data.


This program has minimum requirements for:

  • skilled work experience
  • language ability
  • education

Selection factors
If you meet all the minimum requirements, your application will then be assessed your application based on:

  • age
  • education
  • work experience
  • whether you have a valid job offer
  • English and/or French language skills
  • adaptability (how well you’re likely to settle here)

These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assess eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. You earn points for how well you do in each of the 6 factors.
The current pass mark is 67 points.

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.
To be eligible, you must:
Meet the required language levels for each language ability:

  • writing/reading/ listening/speaking
  • Have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply,
  • Meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification, except for needing a certificate of qualification.
  • Have a valid job offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least 1 year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.

Skilled work experience:
Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):
Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers

The Canadian Experience Class is for skilled workers who have Canadian work experience and want to become permanent residents.


  • Meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability : Writing / Reading/ listening/Speaking
  • Have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last 3 years before you apply. The work was:
           * full-time or
           * an equal amount in part-time
  • Have gained your work experience by working in Canada legally

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification, skilled work experience means:

  • Managerial jobs (skill level 0)
  • Professional jobs (skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill type B)

your special immigration

Vancouver, BC


Tel: +1 604 763 3434
Email :

Follow us on

2019 © your special immigration . All Rights Reserved